Thursday, August 7, 2008

servant leadership



As many of you know, I am on staff at Greenville Christian School. I coach football, basketball and the ladies softball team. We have been in what we call LIFT UP all week and it has been an amazing time of growth and maturing not only physically but more importantly spiritually. I have the honor to invest in the lives of these young men and I count it a blessing. At the end of our time today, we discussed leadership. We looked at the scriptures found in John 13: 1-17. I want to share with you verses 12-17.

12When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. 13"You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 15I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. 17Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.

After reading this scripture, we discussed the fact that Jesus led those around him in ways that are often foreign to us. We tend to have this picture of a leader that is full of pride and arrogance and seldom has a gentle demeanor- especially in the world of sports. Our coaching staff is awesome and I count it a blessing to serve alongside of some very Godly men. We asked the Senior athletes if they would allow us to wash their feet symbolizing our willingness to be servant leaders in their life. They in return washed the feet of the Junior athletes giving the same declaration to those they have been called to lead. God gave us the opportunity to win the 6 Man State Football Championship last year and we are praying the Lord would allow us to have favor as we look to repeat this year!

No comments: