Wednesday, August 13, 2008

don't worry, rejoice!

I have been reading Francis Chan's book "Crazy Love" and I love the concept of dealing with stress that he brings out in Chapter 2 pages 41 and 42. Here is the excerpt from his book:

"When I am consumed by my problems- stressed out about my life, my family, and my job- I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a "right" to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities.
Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives.
Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.
Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance." - Francis Chan

* May I remember to always rejoice, even when it is difficult.
* Am I really trusting that He is big enough, powerful enough and loving enough?
* How impatient am I?
* How often do I step into arrogance?

No comments: