Saturday, August 23, 2008

how dirty are they?

This quote is from one of the books I am using for the Leadership Development class that I am teaching at Greenville Christian School. The book is entitled, "Being Leaders" and it is written Aubrey Malphurs. I hope you find some encouragement in it today and what the Lord has placed in front of you as fellow teachers and pastors.

"We'll serve others humbly only to the degree that we love them. And the dirt on their feet will test our love for them. If we don't love them, we'll take up the leadership towel only to toss in that towel quickly when it gets a little dirty. If we love our followers deeply, we'll not only take up the leadership towel but also wrap ourselves in it. We won't mind a little dirt"


The question that comes to my mind is simply this, "How dirty are they?" Is my love for others really hinged upon the amount of dirt that I detect in their lives? Is is really my place to even put a quota on the amount of dirt that can be there before I deem it is too much? Should I instead, just get my towel out and begin embracing the one who is dirty even to the point of getting a little dirt on myself?

No comments: