Saturday, January 1, 2011

Dominican Recap #2



I have asked some of our team members to share what the Lord did on our journey to the Dominican Republic. For many of them, it was there first time to be in that country. I wanted to share with you today the response I received from Beth Nelson, a fellow teacher and team member. I pray that as you read her words, it will help give you a glimpse of what HE was doing in us, to us, and through us.

"It's really funny....I thought I wouldn't be able to stop the flood of words describing my experiences when I got home, but I find that I still can't verbalize everything I felt. I still can't think about the kids I met.....let alone look at pictures of their faces....without tearing up! But the words aren't there. Maybe God is still doing a work in my heart, so I'm waiting. I'm especially waiting to hear what my role is to be in the future concerning the people in the villages of Monte Largo and Dos Hermanas. God has laid it on my heart to give financially, but I feel like it doesn't stop there.

One thing I can communicate, though, is the overwhelming sense I had in the D.R. of fellowship with believers in other parts of the world. I first felt it in our group devotions at night, when the two precious, Godly women who cooked our food each day joined us, even though neither one of them understood any English. I noticed that while we sang our praise songs in English, they worshipped the same God we were worshipping, even though they had no idea what we were singing! Graciela later verbalized, through a translation via Julio, that her spirit bore witness with our spirits that we were worshipping the one true God. Later in the week, when we had the opportunity to attend a worship service in Santo Domingo, we had the chance to join fellow believers as they praised God in Spanish. As we sang "Santo, santo, santo.....quiero te veo" ("Holy, holy, holy....I want to see you), I wondered if it was a glimpse of what heaven will be like--voices raised in many languages, praising the one true God!"

No comments: