Thursday, January 6, 2011

2011:: Worthy Of The Gospel


21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. 25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, 26 so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.

27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. 29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, 30 engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.

~Philippians 1:21-30

This is where the Lord took me at the start of this year. Coming off of the heels of an amazing trip to the Dominican Republic and walking through the holiday season, The Lord has continued to stir my affections of Him. I have been praying specifically for what 2011 will look like in my life as a husband, as a father, as a pastor and in the life of GFchurch.

Here in the chapter 1 on Philippians, we have Paul addressing the saint in Philippi. Paul speaks about his imprisonment and the fact that most have found confidence in Christ, even because of His imprisonment. He goes on to speak about the fact that many preach from envy and rivalry but he does so out of love and in defense of the gospel.
Paul then says that "To live is Christ and to die is gain". He walks through the reason for his returning to them so that they may all glory in Christ Jesus.

Here is where, I believe, The Lord was speaking to me very loudly and clearly. In verse 27, Paul says, "let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ". This is what my life is to look like in 2011. Not that it hasn't and wasn't supposed to look the same way in 2010 but this year's cry will be "Let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ". As a husband, as a father, as a pastor, and in the life of our church; we must do everything in a "manner that is worthy of the gospel of Christ".

Continue reading in verse 27 and you see that Paul says, "I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,". How awesome is it to know and understand that the scriptures teach us and compel us to stand firm in one spirit and strive side by side for the faith of the gospel. As a father, as a husband, and as a pastor, I am called to stand firm in one spirit and one mind side by side with my family for the cause of the gospel of Christ.

As a church, we must remain focused and centered on Jesus and His teachings. We must stand firm. We must stand side by side. We must be in one spirit. We must do it all, for the cause of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

May our prayer for 2011 be this. May we live our lives in such a manner that is worthy of the gospel of Christ!

No comments: