Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mid Week Reflections

This week at GFchurch we started a new series over The Beatitudes. Scott Finch did a great job leading us in worship and our "Yard Team" were on top of their game~ as always. I love our people and their willingness to serve. We will be walking through the Beatitudes over the next few weeks/months. We are reading through the 5th chapter of the Gospel of Matthew. Here are my notes from Sunday's sermon.

1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. 2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying, 3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. 5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth. 6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. 7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy. 8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. 9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God. 10 "Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.


* what is happiness? (how do we define it?)

....many try to find happiness in marriage, divorce, drugs, alcohol, wealth, eating..
....many say happiness is what life is all about
....many say happiness is all that matters
....we live with the mindset of "whatever we want, we must have" (selfish)



* look at what Solomon said::

Solomon engaged in every sin possible. He was an administrator, a politician, a military commander, a leader, and the wealthiest king that ever lived. He owned 1400 chariots, 12,000 horses, 700 wives and 300 concubines
*

* Ecclesiastes 2
*
The Futility of Pleasure and Possessions

1 I said to myself, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure. So enjoy yourself." And behold, it too was futility. 2 I said of laughter, "It is madness," and of pleasure, "What does it accomplish?" 3 I explored with my mind how to stimulate my body with wine while my mind was guiding me wisely, and how to take hold of folly, until I could see what good there is for the sons of men to do under heaven the few years of their lives. 4 I enlarged my works: I built houses for myself, I planted vineyards for myself; 5 I made gardens and parks for myself and I planted in them all kinds of fruit trees; 6 I made ponds of water for myself from which to irrigate a forest of growing trees. 7 I bought male and female slaves and I had homeborn slaves Also I possessed flocks and herds larger than all who preceded me in Jerusalem. 8 Also, I collected for myself silver and gold and the treasure of kings and provinces I provided for myself male and female singers and the pleasures of men--many concubines. 9 Then I became great and increased more than all who preceded me in Jerusalem. My wisdom also stood by me. 10 All that my eyes desired I did not refuse them I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor.11 Thus I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun.


Thomas Watson::: "The things of this world will no more keep out trouble of spirit than a piece of paper will stop a bullet. Worldly delights are winged, they have wings and they are here for a time and for a moment, and they fly away", he goes on to say, "To look for blessing in things external is to seek the living among the dead.


Luke 12:15 (New American Standard Bible)

15Then He said to them, "(A)Beware, and be on your guard against every form of greed; for not even when one has an abundance does his life consist of his possessions."


* what is blessedness?
*'Beatitudes' is a Latin word, it simply means 'joy', 'blessedness'
* The Greek word for 'blessedness' in this passage, and throughout the whole passage, is the word 'makarios,..... unaffected by change, the circumstances you are in, or what happens to you daily

....not something affected by how you feel
....not howe you feel, but who you are in Christ"
....as belivers in Christ we are "blessed" or approved by God


* to be blessed is the "approval of God"
*
Psalm 32
Blessedness of Forgiveness and of Trust in God.
A Psalm of David. A Maskil[a].
1(A)How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven,
Whose sin is covered!

*
Psalm 1
The Righteous and the Wicked Contrasted.
BOOK 1
1How blessed is the man who (A)does not walk in the (B)counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the (C)path of sinners,
Nor (D)sit in the seat of scoffers!
2But his (E)delight is (F)in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates (G)day and (H)night.

*


* The basic message is simply this::
~happiness, God's approval, God's blessedness can never be found in externals


If you missed the service yesterday, you can watch it here on GatewayTV

Mark Your Calendars::
~June 29 - July 2, 2010 Student Camp @Pineywoods
~July 16-17, 2010 Father/Son Retreat
~July 25-28, 2010 Pre-Teen Camp @ Pineywoods

ConnectGroup Schedule::

TuesNite @ 7pm @ The Snow's
WedNite @ 7pm @ The Brown's
SunMorn @ 915am @ GFchurch



Places To Sign Up::



Youth Camp June 28-July 2, 2010 @ Pineywoods Baptist Encampment

Father/ Son Weekend July 16-17, 2010 @ Mathews Retreat Center in Lone Oak, TX. (All guys welcome to attend)

Pre-Teen Camp July 25-28, 2010 @ Pineywoods Baptist Encampment


I love our church
I love our people
I love what He is doing in us
I love what He is doing to us
I love what He is doing through us
I love that He is not done with us

No comments: