Monday, June 23, 2008

Not Like the Nine

I love the story of the cleansing of the 10 lepers. Jesus is traveling and He enters a village and ten lepers called out to Him for healing. He simply responds, "Go show yourself to the priests" On their way, they become cleansed (healed) all ten of them. Scripture says that only one of them , after realizing what had taken place, turned around to give thanks for what he had received. I love this because it causes me to question what I am thankful for and even begs to ask the question- am I thankful at all. I think it becomes very easy for us to walk through our lives literally expecting God to take care of things and when He does we are just expectant of it! Do we really give glory where glory is due? Or do we in the midst of our hurried lives chalk it up as just another day in our lives. These lepers had a disease that affected their lives. It was something they had to live with and it kept them from being in contact with people. When these 10 receive the gift of freedom- only 1 turns to give thanks. Father, I thank you for giving me life. I thank you for ridding me of my bondage that YOU nailed to the cross! I thank you for taking away from me a disease of sin that affected my everyday life. I still struggle but I pray you find me faithful. I submit to be the 1 who gives credit where credit is due! I will not be like the other 9

Luke 17: 11-19
11-13It happened that as he made his way toward Jerusalem, he crossed over the border between Samaria and Galilee. As he entered a village, ten men, all lepers, met him. They kept their distance but raised their voices, calling out, "Jesus, Master, have mercy on us!"

14-16Taking a good look at them, he said, "Go, show yourselves to the priests."

They went, and while still on their way, became clean. One of them, when he realized that he was healed, turned around and came back, shouting his gratitude, glorifying God. He kneeled at Jesus' feet, so grateful. He couldn't thank him enough—and he was a Samaritan.

17-19Jesus said, "Were not ten healed? Where are the nine? Can none be found to come back and give glory to God except this outsider?" Then he said to him, "Get up. On your way. Your faith has healed and saved you."

No comments: