Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Back Home

Well, it is now Tuesday and I have been back in the states for a total of 2 days. My heart is still processing all of things that took place on my recent trip to the Dominican Republic. Every time I go back, I leave a portion of my heart there. I am falling more and more in love with the people there.
Today, I am heading out to deliver Christmas to a needy family in our community that our church has adopted. I am so fortunate to be a part of a faith family that takes to heart the call to "the least of these" and the mandate to "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly". It is the thing that resonates with me the most right now as I struggle with coming back to the states and feeling the urge to go and buy gift, after gift, after gift for my own family and pleasure. Yes, I am thankful and blessed that I can do these things but is it really what I am supposed to do, in light of the gospel?
We live during a time when the economy is not what it should be and nowhere near what it used to be. There are people who are hurting and in need all around us, and yet we will still stand in line for the newest gadget, pay top dollar for a 16oz cup of coffee, and drive for miles and miles to go get that "one special gift". Yet, all the while, people all around us need hope! They need the gospel lived out around them. They need the one and only thing that will get them through the trials and heartbreaks of life, Jesus!
On our last night in the Dominican, we took some time reflecting on what the Lord had done in us, to us, and through us. We asked questions like, "what does this mean for you, when you get back home". My answer was simple. More Sacrifice

No comments: